MISSION STATEMENT OF BRITISH INFANTRY
To Close With and Destroy the Enemy
MISSION STATEMENT OF BUTLER'S RANGERS
1777: To Serve with the Indians as Occasion Shall Require.
Present Day: To Re-create, with Accuracy, the Day-to-Day Life and Activities of the Men who Served in Butler's Rangers
*** Special Announcement ***
Click here for information on a new book: An Annotated Roll of Butler's Rangers.
The Corps of Rangers commanded by Lieutenant Colonel John Butler was raised in 1777 and served until the general reduction of the British Army in North America in 1784.
The Rangers were headquartered at Fort Niagara, first living in garrison, and then in barracks on the west side of the Niagara River.
While the Corps fought as a major unit at Wyoming, Cherry Valley, Chemung, on Sir John Johnson's and Major John Ross's raids, most of the expeditions were mounted by company or company plus sized units. A key factor in the successes of the Rangers was the close co-operation of the various Indian nations with which it served. The Corps fought in what is now New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Virginia, Kentucky and Michigan. It has been described by military historians as the most active and successful Provincial Corps in the Northern Command during the Revolution.
During the Revolution the ten companies were commanded by:
Lieutenant Colonel John Butler
On disbandment, over 800 men served in the Rangers, and most of them took up new residences in Upper Canada as United Empire Loyalists. Many of the officers and men, and their sons, served their King in the militia of Upper Canada, in particular the Lincoln Militia, during the War of 1812. Their descendants have continued to serve the Crown in both regular and reserve units until the present day. The Lincoln and Welland Regiment (Canadian Army), with headquarters in St. Catharines, Ontario, is the military descendant of Butler's Rangers.
Captain Andrew Bradt
Captain Walter Butler
Captain William Caldwell
Captain George Dame
Captain Bernard Frey
Captain Lewis Geneway
Captain Peter Hare
Captain John McDonell
Captain John McKinnon
Captain Benjamin Pawling
Captain Peter Ten Broeck
Captain Andrew Thompson
THE CORPS TODAY
The re-created Corps of Butler's Rangers is designed to provide a regimental organization for constituent independent companies to further historical research, standardize uniform design and drill, and integrate company activities at historical re-enactments.
Regimental Headquarters is co-located with McDonell's Company in Brantford, Ontario. Independent companies exist in both Canada and the United States.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
This Crown Forces in America 1775-1783 site is owned by Alan Woolley.
[Skip Prev] [Prev] [Next] [Skip Next] [Random] [Next 5] [List Sites]
There have been visitors to this page since 12 January 1997.
Updated: 1 August 2004
The design and maintenance of this page is by Major Alan D. Woolley CD, The Lincoln and Welland Regiment.